Mission and competences
“To contribute for the free, reliable and secure use of the cyberspace in Portugal, through the continuous improvement of the national cybersecurity and the international cooperation”
The Portuguese National Cybersecurity Centre´s mission is to contribute for the free, reliable and secure use of the cyberspace in Portugal, through the continuous improvement of the national cybersecurity and the international cooperation, in coordination with all the competent authorities, and the implementation of measures and instruments required for the anticipation, detection, reaction and recovery of situations that, in the imminence of occurrence of incidents or cyberattacks, may compromise national interests.
With this objective, the Portuguese National Cybersecurity Centre works with the Operators of Essential Services, the Digital Service Providers and State entities, having in consideration their critical role for the proper functioning of the Portuguese society.
In the fulfillment of the mission set by the framework of the National Strategy for the Security of Cyberspace, approved by the Resolution of the Council of Ministers 36/2015, of June 12, the Portuguese National Cybersecurity Centre has the following competences:
• Exercise the powers as the competent national authority in the domain of cybersecurity in relation to the State and the operators of national critical infrastructures.
• Ensure the production of legal benchmarks in the domain of cybersecurity.
• Develop the national capacities for the prevention, monitoring, detection, analysis and correction designed to cope with cybersecurity incidents and cyberattacks.
• Contribute for the security of the information and communication systems of the State entities, Operators of Essential Services and Digital Service Providers.
• Promote the training and qualification of human resources in the area of cybersecurity, with the objective of creating a community of knowledge and a national culture of cybersecurity.
• Promote and ensure the coordination and cooperation between the various actors involved and responsible in the area of the national cybersecurity.
• Support the development of technical, scientific and industrial capabilities, promoting projects for the innovation and development in the area of cybersecurity.
• Ensure the planning of the cyberspace use in situations of crisis and in war situations within the frame of the emergency civil planning, as defined in the Decree-Law 73/2013, of May 31.
• Coordinate the international cooperation on cybersecurity issues, in coordination with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
• Coordinate the transposition of the Directive (EU) 2016/1148 of the European Parliament and of the Council, concerning measures to ensure a high common level of network and information security across the Union, to the internal legal order.
The Portuguese National Cybersecurity Centre also operates in close coordination with the national structures responsible for cyberespionage, cyberdefense and cyberterrorism, and has the responsibility to inform the competent authorities on all the facts it has knowledge of, regarding the preparation and execution of crimes.